< Princess Eden Adams: Round 2 update

Princess Eden Adams

A place learn about Eden Adams and her fight against Neuroblastoma.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Round 2 update

Original title, huh folks? It's been a whirlwond of a week so far and it's only Wednesday!

The chemo so far has been right on track, no problems, but lots of worries. Eden still has a runny nose and is very "snuffily"; she is still suffering from a yeast infection-type thing in her nether regions, but the cream that was prescribed is helping a lot; she is not drinking as well as she should be...a pretty normal round of chemo, all in all.

The outpatient chemo is quite easy. I thought that it would be more work or harder or something strange. It's easy for me to do all of the maintenence. I'm still shocked and surprised. There is nothing scary or hard at all. In fact, I've done all of the same things before. Huh, experience is a good thing, I suppose. Check out the daily schedule below:

5:45 AM: Hook up IV fluids (no pump to fool with) while Eden is sleeping. Make coffee. Try to wake up.
6:30: Wake up boys to head to school, breakfast, hair, teeth, meds...etc. Drink lots of coffee.
7:20 AM: Boys gone. Eden eats breakfast with her IV fluids sitting on the table.
8 AM: Unhook the first bottle of IV Fluids and then hook another bottle to the line. Meds.
8:15 AM: Head for Children's
9:00 AM: Register in the Outpatient Clinic. Vitals, height and weight. Urine sample (she always misses! YUCK!).
10 AM: Start chemo. Watch TV and eat snacks.
12 Noon: Unhook from hospital equipment and start home IV fluids.
12:01 PM: RUN for the door.
2:00 PM: Push Mesna through line over five minute period.
2:05 PM: Push saline through line over ten minutes.
2:15 PM: Continue IV fluids until bottle is empty.
4:30 PM: Flush line with saline, then flush line with Heparin to keep blodd from clotting in the line.
4:35 PM: Continue with life as we know it.

I'm not sure how much easier it could be for us. I'm glad that we were given the chance to do this outpatient.

There are some cool things happening with Eden in the next few weeks. I'll keep it a surprise for now. Check back soon to hear about the fun stuff.

Don't forget to head to Grove City this Friday and Saturday for the continuation of the Garage Sale to support Eden. Email Lisa for more details. I am not going to publish addresses on the blog for safety's sake, but we'll be happy to fill you in on all of the details via email. We have a flyer that we can email, as well.

When I talked to Shawn's parents about his radiation treatment they were very positve. Dr. Bauer at OSU will be Shawn's doctor and they are very pleased with all that she had to say about Shawn and his case. Please continue to pray for Shawn and his family.

Time for meds, beds and the start of another wonderful day! Thanks for checking in on our girl.

(The picture above was costumed and staged by Riley, photo by me. He called it the Gangster Princess)


At 10:49 PM, Anonymous Mindy said...

I just thought of something else regarding radiation. Ian had to be sedated every morning for it and I'm sure Shawn will be too. What ever they gave him was some wicked stuff. There is a second drug that they can give immediately after the radiation treatement (there's the word I was looking for earlier). I do not remember what it was called, but ask about it!! Ian was okay the first day, but the second and third, he was not my Ian. Kicking and screaming and pulling my hair. Very tramatizing for me. This from the worlds most laid back child... so, please, give them the heads up so they won't have to deal with the terror of seeing their child act out like that.

At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This picture is WAY too cute!! I hope you have a great week. You are in my prayers. Love to all!!

Nurse Felicia


Post a Comment

<< Home